Ossory Diocesan Forum
Sr Helen Maher
St Kieran’s College,
The Ossory Diocesan Forum, established in response to widespread consultation in the Diocese in 2004, has developed as a network of Pastoral Councils at Parish, Deanery and Diocesan level. The purpose of these pastoral councils is to facilitate two-way communication, dialogue and consultation about all that pertains to the faith life of the Diocese. The vision at the heart of the Forum is one where bishop, priests, religious and lay people, by virtue of their Baptism, share responsibility for promoting the Kingdom of God in Ossory. Identifying and addressing pastoral concerns in an on-going way and planning for the future of the Diocese is the mission of the Forum.
THE GROUPINGS THAT MAKE UP THE FORUM
The Ossory Diocesan Pastoral Council (ODPC)
This is the Executive body of the Forum. Its role is to be a consultative group to the Bishop and to promote, support and coordinate the work of Parish Pastoral Councils and Deanery Pastoral Councils in the context of the Diocesan Pastoral Plan.
Deanery Pastoral Councils (DPC)
There are three Deanery Pastoral Councils, Northern (NDPC), Middle (MDPC) and Southern (SDPC)
The Role of the Deanery Pastoral Council is:
- To promote a church of communion through collaboration between clergy, religious and laity with emphasis on the role of the laity in the mission of the Church.
- To identify pastoral priorities within the deanery through consultation between priests, religious and laity.
- To share these at Forum level with a view to reaching diocesan consensus around priorities.
- To implement pastoral strategies to address these priorities
- To share progress/difficulties in implementing these strategies with the Diocesan Pastoral Council.
Parish Pastoral Councils (PPC)
Each parish is to have its own Parish Pastoral Council, set up and functioning in accordance with diocesan norms.